Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Post #3 - The Godhead; Christ's Baptism

Hello World!

I learned so much in class today (Wednesday, May 7, 2014)! I took about 5 pages of notes in my notebook and wrote countless references and little notes in my scriptures. How amazing is the Gospel?!


We covered a lot of topics today, but one of the most important topics to me was that of the Godhead.

First and foremost, we covered how we know that it truly is a Godhead- 3 personages- and not a Trinity. We discussed the argument for the Trinity and how the scriptures mention God and Christ being "one". Brother Griffin, our teacher, reminded us that while God and Christ and the Holy Ghost are "one", they are not the same. The scriptures never mention all three as one being. They are one: they are unified in all things, while still being 3 different personages.

We also discussed Christ's baptism and the Holy Ghost "descending like a dove". Because of this passage, and a few others if I'm not mistaken, people believe that the Holy Ghost can take different forms- specifically as a dove. However, it is our doctrine that the Holy Ghost is a personage- without a body. He does not take different forms, but he may have descended LIKE a dove. The Holy Ghost brings peace, which the dove is a symbol for. It may be that there was literally a dove that descended as a symbol of the Holy Ghost, or it may be that that passage just means that the Spirit came peacefully, like a dove.

Another thing that we discussed regarding Christ's baptism was the symbolism of where it happened. The Jordan River right before it enters the Dead Sea, which is where the baptism occurred, is just above 13,000 feet below sea level. This is symbolic because Christ, the Holiest of all, had to descend to the lowest of lows in order to raise us to the highest we can be.

I'm so thankful for my Savior and the chance I have to repent and become as clean as I was on the day of my baptism again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment